Friday, November 2, 2018

Crusader Tank Test Models


The Crusader tank is one of the most ubiquitous pieces of equipment used by the British army in the North Africa campaign in 1942-3. Its very modern appearance belies a rather mediocre performance, but despite eventually being replaced in service by the more reliable lend lease Sherman, it played a vital role in the war in the desert.




So far I have built up and painted the two Crusaders that come in the El Alamein starter box by Battlefront. They were going to serve as a test bed for my desert paint schemes, but I ended up liking them by the time they were painted. I'll likely field at least one platoon of these with my 8th Army force.


My paint scheme is overall VMC Iraiqi Sand, with VPC German Camo Dark Brown for the deeper color, airbrushed over the base color and masked with silly putty. Tracks are VMC Black Grey. I was hoping to include WIP photos, but those were lost with my previous computer.


I plan to paint one or three more of these and field a single platoon. As I am aiming for a bit later in the MidWar period, they'll be mixed in with Sherman and Churchill tanks.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...