Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Churchill Tank 2



I have decided to paint all my Churchill tanks uniquely. This is not for any historic reasons except for the fact that there are a lot of variations in the paint on the original vehicles from this theater, especially if extended from Mediterranean into Southern Europe. Basically I am doing this so I get to try more fun paint schemes.


This second vehicle is based on a tiger stripe desert pattern that keeps coming up in my research of the tank variant. The original, conveniently, can be seen on Wikimedia Commons.

Source: Wikimedia Commons
There is some debate as to whether the dark stripes of the camouflage are brown or green. I chose green mostly because I like green, and not because of any overwhelming historical mandate.


Now a bit that I'm rather proud of: I made the armament modular for this tank. Since I had a shortage of tiny magnets at the time, I worked a purely friction based system for gun barrel swapping. 


The kit itself comes with a slight indentation in the turret for mounting the nubby pin molded on the back of the gun barrel. I took a 1/16" drill bit and drilled about 1/8" deep into the turret using a power drill on low speed. In this deepened hole went a section of 1/16" outer diameter brass tubing.


The inner diameter was 1/32" and it snugly fits around brass rod of that size. This rod was pinned into the breach of each gun option.


This leaves one tank remaining to be painted. It will have to wait until I make up my mind on its paint scheme.  Could do a standard North Africa camo of sand and dark brown, but I'm open to suggestion...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...