Friday, December 14, 2018

Snowspeeder Part III: Cockpit Window Details


When I last left off I had just figured out that I should have painted the windows first, then masked over them to begin airbrushing the rest of the model. This last weekend I finally bit the bullet and pulled out my best paintbrush to do the cockpit windows on my Star Wars Legion Snowspeeder.

The windows I did are based off both watching Empire scenes with the speeders and the opaque window treatment I learned from Flames of War, where you hint at reflected scenery. In Empire, the speeder windows always appear dark in outdoor scenes, so I made sure to use dark, desaturated hues in my reflections. The results are an overall deep tone that look good at a distance but give off more detail closer in. I'm quite pleased.


For a final bit of detail, I put in a little bit of off-white line work to simulate some reflection, and also scratches on the glass. As of now, the windows remain unfinished until the very end; they're matte varnished with the rest of the model. After weathering the model, I will go back and hand-apply gloss coat.
Up next, however, I'll paint some of the smaller markings like the ubiquitous backwards ZZ, then it's time for weathering.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...